Guangzhou recently hosted its very first Restaurant Week from September 3 to September 9. I was lucky enough to stumble upon an ad from Dining City Guangzhou (my new favorite site, by the way), which is kind of like a Guangzhou version of Open Table. I made Saturday lunch reservations for an Indian restaurant called Vaastu, and Sunday dinner reservations at a Bavarian brewery called Paulaner Bräuhaus.
Vaastu: A Date with India
Address: 13-15, 475 Huanshi Dong Lu, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou (near Tianhe Lu), China
Opening hours: 11:00-15:00
RW lunch set menu (68 RMB)
- Vegetable Samosa - crisp flaky triangular pastry filled with spiced vegetables and herbs
- Chicken Tikka Afghan - tender, juicy chicken pieces marinated in mild spices
- Lamb Seekh Kebab - succulent boneless chunks of tender lamb
- Paneer Tikka Tandoori - florets of broccoli marinated in spices
- Chicken Tikka Masala - succulent boneless pieces of chicken, grilled in tandoor & simmered in uniquely spiced tomato gravy
- Lamb Rogan Josh - select lamb pieces cooked in uniquely spiced gravy of onion and saffron
- Vegetable Kofta Curry - dumplings of mix vegetables cooked in tomato and onion gravy
- Dal Makhani - red beans and lentils simmered overnight in tomatoes and herbs with a touch of butter
- Dal Tadka - blend of yellow lentil tempered with ginger, garlic and chili.
- Plain naan and steamed Basmati rice or local steamed rice.
- Malai/Mango Kulfi - homemade Indian ice cream with milk and mango.
- Mango lassi
- Soft drink
- Dole 100% Juice
Paulaner Bräuhaus: A traditional Bavarian restaurant with its own microbrewery
Address: 3rd Floor of TaiKoo Hui Shopping Centre L307, 383 Tianhelu, Tianhe District, 510620 Guangzhou, China
Opening Hours: 11:30am – 1am
RW Chef’s Special tasting menu (178 RMB)
- Münchner Kartoffelcremesuppn mit Wiener - Munich potato-cream soup with Wiener sausages
- Paulaner’s Gourmet Teller: A stückerl von der Schweinshaxn, Nürnberger Rostbratwürstl, hausgemachtes Kalbsfleischpflanzerl auf Kartoffelgurkensalat, Sauerkraut und Kartoffelpüree - A piece of crackling roasted pork knuckle, roasted Nürnberger sausages, homemade minced mixed meat patties on potato cucumber salad, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes
- Warmer Apfelstrudel mit Vanillesauce und Sahne - Warm apple strudel with vanilla sauce and whipped cream
- ein 0,3l Paulaner Bier oder 0,3l Limonade - a 0.3l Paulaner Draught Bier or 0.3l Soft Drink (I chose the famous Paulaner Wheat Beer, also known as “Weißbier”)